Notice of Information We Collect and How We Use It
Our primary purpose in collecting Personal Information (as defined below) is to provide you with a smooth, efficient, and customized experience using our Website, and to develop our Website and related products and services to meet your needs. “Personal Information” means information that specifically identifies an individual (such as a name, address, or email address, etc.) or other information about that individual that is directly linked to Personal Information. Personal Information does not include “aggregate” information, which is data we collect about the use of our Website or which we aggregate from information you provide to us. You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but by doing so, you may not be able to take advantage of many of our features and functionality. We use Personal Information to deliver the Website to you, to improve the delivery of our Website and related products and services, including advertising, and to develop analytics and aggregated data that allow us and our partners to improve our Website, products and services, and correspond with you.
We also collect and store non-personally identifiable information that is automatically generated when you use the Website. We use this information to do internal research on the nature of our users to better understand, protect, and serve you and our clients generally.
In general, our collection and use of information is as follows:
- Cipher collects Personal Information you knowingly choose to submit to us through our Website, such as your name and email address, which we use for the following general purposes: identification and authentication of a user, improvement to the Website and related products and services, contact, research, and reporting of aggregated, anonymous data.
- When you visit our Website, Cipher may automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, cookies, and the pages you request. IP addresses are automatically reported by your browser each time you view a web page. Your IP address is stored by Cipher when you register with Cipher. IP addresses may be used for various research purposes, and/or delivering unique functionality to our service.
- Cipher may make public forums (Public Areas) available to you on our Website. You participate in any such Public Areas with the acknowledgement that any information you share will be available to other users, including any Personal Information that you share in Public Areas. We may allow users to post content on the Website. If we make such a feature available, you post content at your own risk. We cannot control the actions of other users with whom you choose to share your information. Even after removal, copies of such content may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or if other users have copied or stored your content.
By using our Website, you indicate your consent for Cipher and our affiliates to send cookies to your computer in order to uniquely identify your browser and improve the quality of our services; you may turn off cookies in your browser though, in doing so, some or all of our Website may not work. A “cookie” is a piece of alphanumeric data stored on a visitor’s hard drive that enables us to improve your access to our Website and identify repeat visitors to our Website. We use the non-personally identifiable information, such as your browser version, IP address, referring domains, pages visited, your mobile carrier, device and application IDs, the nature of your use of the Website and cookie information, to improve our Website delivery, including advertising, and to develop analytics and aggregated data that allow us and our partners to utilize our Website and reach out to you via our Website or otherwise. If you wish to restrict or block the cookies which are set by Cipher, or by any other website, you can do this through your browser settings. The Help function within your browser should tell you how to do so. For information on how to delete cookies on the browser of your mobile phone as applicable you will need to refer to your handset manual.
Like many websites, we may automatically gather certain information about our Website traffic and store it in log files. This information includes Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data. We use this information, which does not identify individual users, to analyze trends, to administer the Website, to track users’ movements around the Website, and to gather demographic information about our user base.
We may link this automatically collected data to Personal Information. IP addresses may be tied to Personal Information to troubleshoot access issues and ban users by IP from certain communities upon appropriate request.
We may use a third-party tracking service that uses log files and cookies, see below, to track non-Personal Information about visitors to the Website in the aggregate. This service captures usage and volume statistics as well as geographical location data to compile usage reports and maps for optimization and troubleshooting purposes.
Information We Collect to Respond to Your Choices and Requests
In order to use certain portions of our Website, we may require you to complete a registration form and provide a user name and password (“Login Credentials”). We may also provide you with the opportunity to provide information and/or suggestions to us. In connection with any such submissions, you agree to give truthful information (such as name and email address). We use this information to contact you about products and services in which you have expressed interest.
Communication from Us
When you send email or other communications to Cipher, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our Website and related products and services. When you send and receive messages we may collect and maintain information associated with those messages. We may also occasionally send you information on products, services, special deals, and promotions offered by us or one of our partners. You can sign up for these emails from us on our registration page.
Out of respect for your privacy, we present the option not to receive these types of communications. Please see the “Choice and Opt-out” section below.
If you wish to subscribe to our newsletter(s), we will use your name and email address to send the newsletter to you. Out of respect for your privacy, we provide you a way to unsubscribe. Please see the “Choice and Opt-out” section below.
We will send you strictly service-related announcements on rare occasions when it is necessary to do so. For instance, if our Website is temporarily suspended for maintenance, we might send you an email.
Generally, you may not opt-out of these communications, which are not promotional in nature. If you do not wish to receive them, you have the option to deactivate your account.
Based upon the Personal Information you provide us, we may send you a welcoming email to verify your username and password. We will communicate with you in response to your inquiries, to provide the services you request, and to manage your account. We will communicate with you by email or telephone, in accordance with your wishes. You may contact customer service at this email address.
Conditions under Which We Share Information
We may share aggregated demographic information about our user base with our partners. This information does not identify individual users. We do not link aggregate user data with Personal Information. We may use and publicize aggregate information in any manner that does not identify you, without your consent.
- We may share aggregated data to improve the delivery of our Website, which may include advertising, to develop analytics, and to enable us and our partners to improve and promote our products and services.
- We may collect and share Personal Information made available by users in Public Areas.
- We may release your Personal Information to authorized agents who we contract with or are employed by us to perform tasks on our behalf and need to share information with them to provide products, services and offers to you. Unless we communicate with you differently, our authorized agents do not have the right to use any Personal Information we share with them beyond what is necessary to work with us. You hereby consent to our sharing your Personal Information for the above purposes.
We reserve the right to disclose your Personal Information as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights; to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on us or the Website; or in connection with an actual or proposed corporate transaction or insolvency proceeding involving all or part of the business or asset to which the information pertains.
Choice and Opt-out
We provide you the opportunity to ‘opt-out’ of having your Personal Information used for certain purposes, when we ask for this information.
If you no longer wish to receive our newsletter and promotional communications, you may opt-out of receiving them by following the instructions included in each newsletter or communication or by emailing us at this email address.
Access to or Changing Your Information
If your Personal Information changes, you may correct or update it by emailing our Customer Support or by contacting us by telephone or postal mail at the contact information listed below.
Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily make your Personal Information or other private information available for viewing by third parties online—for example on blogs, discussion forums, or other Public Areas or social networking websites—that information can be seen, collected, and used by others besides us. We cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of such information.
Information You Post to Other Sites or Provide to Others
Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily make your Personal Information or other private information available for viewing by third parties online—for example on blogs, discussion forums, or other community posting or social networking sites, that information can be seen, collected, and used by others besides us. We cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third-party use of such information.
Our Website is not directed to people under 18 years of age. If you become aware that your child has provided us with Personal Information without your consent, please contact us at this email address. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from individuals under 18. If we become aware that an individual under 18 has provided us with Personal Information, we take steps to remove that information and terminate the applicable account.